Out of the box, SharePoint only index/crawl DOC, XLS, PPT, TXT and HTM files. Here are the steps to install Acrobat PDF IFilter 6.0 on a SharePoint 2007 server to allow PDF file content to be indexed by the Search and for the correct icon to be shown on web UI.
First download Adobe PDF IFilter 6.0.
- Run the Adobe PDF IFilter 6.0 Setup program. Note: if you have SQL on a different server then you need to install the iFilter on the SQL Server not on the IIS server. (But I also installed on SSP server just in case.)
- The following steps are on the web server.
- Copy the ICPDF.gif file to “\12\Template\Images”. ( I googled this from internet)
- Edit the file \12\TEMPLATE\XML\DOCICON.XML to add an entry for the .pdf extension.
- <Mapping Key=”pdf” Value=”icpdf.gif”/>
- Do an iisreset or recycle the appropriate application pool
- Add the .pdf file type to the index list:
- Go to SSP->Search Settings and next to File Type, add a new file type pdf
- Perform a Full Crawl
- My experience indicates that a server reboot is necessary.
RTF filter is available for SharePoint 2003 but the download link was removed from MS site. Hopefully MS will have a updated version for MOSS 2007.
Some other userful links:
- Microsoft SharePoint team just recently released more filters to support more file types (Office 2007 type, Visio, zip etc): http://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2007/12/20/ms-filter-pack-released.aspx
- A iFilter shop you can buy more filters: http://www.ifiltershop.com/products.html
Thanks Francois for this tip:
It is important to note that the regular iFilter doesn’t support 64Bit version of SharePoint and a special iFilter needs to be installed. The following link will shed more light on the iFilter from Foxit. http://naveedullah.wordpress.com/2007/05/12/64-bit-pdf-ifilter-for-moss-now-available/