I have a webpart that I want to restrict the access (kind of) by specifying Target Audiences. I created a SharePoint security group (i.e. SP-Group1) which has domain users AND a domain group (say AD-group1) in it. The webpart works for those who were directly added to SP-Group1 but not for those only in AD-group1. So nested group doesn’t work in “Target Audiences”? (I’m pretty sure nested domain groups in SharePoint groups work in permission/login configurations).
Then I tried to specify the domain group AD-group1 directly in that Target Audiences field but it didn’t work. It (and the “Select Audiences” dialog) can not find the domain group at all. It looks like it doesn’t make a trip to domain controller at all!
I also tried to create a new audience in SSP. When I was trying to add a rule saying this audience should contain all members of a domain group AD-group1, that interface can’t find AD-group1 either. Someone said you need to import the profiles from the Active Directory first. This isn’t really nice.
I will try it later since our DC has more than 10,000 users and I don’t want to import everyone to my site. So I will just add everyone to the SharePoint group directly.